Super-welterweight contender Carson Jones is preparing for what could be the biggest night of his life if the American can overhaul the aging Antonio Margarito in Mexico next month.
Jones was selected by the 39 year-old legend and his team as a stepping stone for a potential world title fight, although the Oklahoma man bids to blow that plan out of the water when the pair collide on September 2.
With 54 bouts behind him and nine years on Margarito, Jones has everything in his locker to defeat the ‘Tijuana Tornado’ after proving his guile in performances against the likes of Ty Brunson, Kell Brook, Brian Rose and Ben Hall in the past.
Having a dangerous reputation and boasting 30 knockouts from 40 wins may have raised a few eyebrows at Margarito’s choice, and even Jones himself was a little taken aback when the offer came through from Zanfer Promotions last week.
“I was very surprised (to get the call from Margarito). I had just woken up checked my Facebook messages and there was just a text from my manager simply saying, ‘do you want to fight Margarito?’ – And of course I called him, got the details and we’ll now we’re here,” Jones exclusively told World Boxing News.
“A win over Margarito will for sure put me back at the top and position me into something huge. But right now, I just have to focus and work hard to make sure I get that win.
“This is a really big opportunity and if done right it can be life changing. A loss here might be it for me. That’s why we’re going in there to make sure we don’t lose.”
An extra motivation, if needed, comes in the form of friend Michelle Doughty, who lost her 17 year-old son recently, and for whom Jones will be dedicating the Margarito fight.
“This fight for Michelle and him. A parent should never have to bury their child and I can only imagine what she must be going through,” he said.
Phil Jay is Editor of World Boxing News. Follow on Twitter @PhilDJay