Antonio Margarito, 39, eyes return to action on Sept 2 in Mexico
Former pound for pound star and Mexican boxing great Antonio Margarito could return to action this fall just months shy of his 40th birthday.
The ex-welterweight world title holder is two bouts into a comeback from retirement between 2011 and 2016, with one of those opponents faced in the frame to be in the opposite corner.
‘El Tornado de Tijuana’ is being lined up for another fight with Jorge Paez Jr. having defeated his fellow countryman in his first fight back on March 5, 2016.
Talks are continuing with Margarito’s promoters at Zanfer, although it seems highly likely that the veteran will grace the ring again this year.
“I just finished talking to Zanfer and we have a tentative date for September 2,” Margarito said, according to debate.com.mx.
On his possible foe, he added: “I’m told that ‘Maromerito’ (Paez) wants revenge and I have no problem.
“I want to fight and shock everybody, which remains as a possibility. Every time It is more feasible for my return.”
Margarito was previously advised by doctors to hang up his gloves on the back of severe eye problems in the later stage of his prime career after taking a pasting against Manny Pacquiao in 2010 and then at the hands of Miguel Cotto in a rematch of their controversial first fight (from 2008) in December 2011.
It seems Margarito still has the desire to compete, and with a victory over Canelo Alvarez’s brother Ramon behind him from a year ago, a world title opportunity in a wide open division at 154 pounds doesn’t seem an impossibility,
Phil Jay is Editor of World Boxing News. Follow on Twitter @PhilDJay