28
Sep
2020

Kris George’s manager pursuing legal action against cancelled Larry Ekundayo clash

Smithy's TGW 20/06/2017

IT WAS SUPPOSED TO BE THE BIGGEST FIGHT OF HIS LIFE AND THE MOST LUCRATIVE but instead Toowoomba’s Commonwealth Champion Kris George has been forced to start again. George was due to meet England based Nigerian Larry Ekundayo in London on July 8 on a card promoted by Frank Warren.

Warren, one of the UK’s biggest promoters and renowned across the World won the purse bid to host the mandatory title defence between champion George and mandatory challenger Larry Ekundayo.

However last week George’s Manager Brendon Smith received the shock news the fight was cancelled and instead Ekundayo will face Gary Corcoran for the WBO Intercontinental title.

“To say we’re disappointed is an understatement,” Brendon Smith said.

“We are pursuing legal action so I can’t say to much however we are extremely disappointed with what’s happened.

“Kris has a signed contract to face Larry Ekundayo and there is no reason he shouldn’t be. What has occurred is simply unjust.

“We are strongly pursuing our options and I can’t understand how the Commonwealth Boxing Commission and British Board of Control can allow this to happen.

“We’re very very disappointed.”

The sudden cancellation is a costly one for George.

“I’ve honoured my commitment to the Commonwealth Boxing Commission, the British Board of Control and the promoter who won the purse bid – I deserve to be shown the same honour,” Kris George said.

“I’ve been contracted to defend my Commonwealth title on July 8 and should be in one corner in London next month – but the reality is – I won’t be. And why won’t I be?

“That’s the disappointing part I’ve done everything I’m supposed to.

“I’ve taken time out of my business to train, I’ve sacrificed time with my family, my training team has sacrificed to help get me ready, my manager has sacrificed to make this opportunity happen and for it to be taken away the way it has is very disappointing.

“It’s really left me in limbo.

“I really hope there can be an outcome here because I don’t want to see this happen to any other fighter.

“I’m a fighter, this is my job and this cancellation has a significant impact on my career. It’s not right.

“It was going to be a tough fight to win I knew that but to essentially be knocked out before I even get on the plane is hard to swallow.”

Despite the setback George is remaining positive.

“I’m still the Commonwealth Champion and take pride in the belt,” George said.

“Moving forward we need to assess what the best option is for me.

“This has been a setback but I know I can overcome it. I just want to fight.”

Manager Brendon Smith added.

“The call is out there, who wants to fight Kris George.”

“We are open to all offers.

“Kris George is hot property at the moment.

“Domestically Jack Brubaker is an option, Jeff Horn pending on the outcome of the Pacquaio fight and many others across the Commonwealth and the World.

“All options are back on the table, we’ll discuss and find the best path forward for Kris.”