27
Sep
2020

Hearn: Mayweather would certainly look to put Cleverly v Jack on McGregor undercard

Cleverly v Jack 06/06/2017

Lucas Noonan / Przemek Garczarczyk

Matchroom boss Eddie Hearn believes any Nathan Cleverly v Badou Jack clash could land on the massive Floyd Mayweather v Conor McGregor bill.

After previously confirming his desire to seal the Cleverly v Jack fight this week, Hearn has now gone so far as to state the WBA light-heavyweight title bout may well end up being the first addition to the Pay-Per-View event.

“It’s certainly a fight that Nathan Cleverly and Badou Jack want,” Hearn told Sky Sports. “Nathan Cleverly has been plaguing me for that fight for a long time.

“It’s been a bit of a frustrating period, because we had the [Juergen] Braehmer rematch and that was pulled, so we’ve been waiting.

“We’ve got to get a move on. He hasn’t boxed since October last year. He is prepared to wait, however, for Badou Jack, but it won’t be long. We’ll have a mandatory put on us again there, so we have to get a date this week I believe for the Badou Jack fight.

“I think Floyd would certainly be looking to put that on the undercard of the McGregor fight if that takes place, so I’m guessing they are trying to push that over the line first.

“But like I said, I’m hoping to agree terms on that fight this week. I believe the next defence for Nathan Cleverly will be Badou Jack.”

Mayweather v McGregor is still in the works, possibly for October or November as their previous date in September has now been taken by Golden Boy Promotions.

Oscar De La Hoya has managed to swoop in on Mayweather’s September 16 first choice, taking Canelo v Gennady Golovkin to the T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas.

That gives Mayweather little option but to look at dates further down the line as the former pound for pound king prepares to return from a two-year absence.