The International Boxing Federation have informed WBN a decision regarding the future of Anthony Joshua’s heavyweight title won’t be made until next week.
Joshua had asked for an exception to defend his IBF strap in a rematch with Wladimir Klitschko, rather than heading straight into a mandatory bout with Kubrat Pulev.
IBF President Daryl Peoples told WBN this last week: “The IBF received an exception request from Matchroom on behalf of Anthony Joshua.
“I’m expecting a reply from Sauerland on behalf of Pulev. The Board will consider the exception request during the convention next week and determine what actions the IBF will take.
“The Board will consider the exception request during the convention next week and determine what actions the IBF will take as soon as a decision has been made.”
Since then, Klitschko has held off on making an official decision on his desire to invoke a rematch clause in his contract with Joshua, until the Ukrainian knows what the IBF will do regarding the red belt.
Klitschko could be offered the opportunity to fight Pulev for the vacant championship if the decision goes against Joshua and all is set to be made clear soon.
“There has been no decision made yet,” the IBF’s Jeanette Salazar exclusively told World Boxing News from the Convention taking place in Florida.
“We expect to make an announcement on Anthony Joshua by Tuesday or Wednesday,” she added.
Any approval of Joshua v Klitschko would come as a blow to rival Tyson Fury who was stripped of his belt just days after winning it.
Fury defeated Klitschko in November 2015 to claim a clutch of belts at 200 pounds plus, although the IBF moved to declare the title vacant once the 28 year-old was also forced to rematch the former champion.
Phil Jay is Editor of World Boxing News. Follow on Twitter @PhilDJay