WBC mandatory status update: Heavyweight / Cruiserweight
WBC QUARTERLY REPORT ABOUT CONVENTION RULING ON EACH DIVISION.
Each division ruling activity follows on each case beginning with cruiserweight and heavyweight.
Heavyweight: Champion Deontay Wilder (United States)
When Wilder was injured in his last fight on July 16, an interim title fight was ordered between No. 1 ranked Alexander Povetkin of Russia and No. 2 ranked Bermane Stiverne of Haiti/Canada. Povetkin and Stiverne are fighting on Saturday, December 17, and the WBC will review the mandatory status after the fight.
- Alexander Povetkin tested positive for banned substance Osterine and the WBC withdrew recognition of the fight between Povetkin and Stiverne.
- Deontay Wilder defeated Washington by TKO5 in a voluntary defense of champion Wilder on February 25 in Alabama.
- Deontay Wilder vs. Bermane Stiverne, mandatory defense – purse offer May 5 – split 70/30 in favor of the champion.
- Dereck Chisora vs. Robert Helenius for the silver – May 27.
Cruiserweight: Champion Tony Bellew (Great Britain)
Bellew requested approval from the Board of Governors for a fight in the heavyweight division against David Haye, and the Board supported his request. Bellew will remain cruiserweight champion until he informs the WBC whether he will continue to fight as a heavyweight or return to the cruiserweight division. In the meantime, the WBC has ordered an interim title fight between No. 1 ranked Mairis Breidis of Latvia and No. 2 ranked Marco Huck of Germany. The free negotiation period starts today and if no agreement is reached, a purse offer will be held onJanuary 14 or 15.
If Bellew decides to return to cruiserweight, the winner of the interim fight will be his mandatory challenger. If Bellew decides to continue at heavyweight, the winner of the interim fight will become world champion. Since the last mandatory defense took place in December, 2013, the WBC ordered a tournament between the top four available contenders to determine the next mandatory challenger.
- Bellew defeated David Haye by TKO11 in a special event on March 4.
- The WBC named Tony Bellew Emeritus Champion and approved the fight between Breidis and Huck for the WBC Cruiserweight title.
- Mairis Briedis defeated Marco Huck by UD12 and won the vacant title, on April 1, 2017.
- Dmitry Kudryashov vs. Olanrewaju Durodola will fight for the silver and final elimination on June 3.