23
May
2019

Golovkin scraps June fight, eyes Canelo or Chavez Jr. after May 6

WBN 27/04/2017

Michael Sterling Eaton

Gennady Golovkin is no longer looking at a summer return to action on the back of a tough twelve round fight against Daniel Jacobs at Madison Square Garden in March.

‘GGG’ successfully defended his clutch of middleweight belts in New York and had been linked to fighting in his native Kazakhstan against Billy Joe Saunders until negotiations fell flat over the last few weeks.

Promoter Tom Loeffler says the 34 year-old is now willing to wait until number one target Canelo Alvarez completes his fight with Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. next weekend and then would like to open talks with whoever comes out on top.

“Gennady is not fighting in June,” Loeffler told ESPN.

“It was a quick turnaround after the Jacobs fight, and we would have liked to have done a fight with Billy Joe Saunders, but it was just too quick of a turnaround. So we’ll see now, when Gennady is ready to fight, what the biggest opportunities are.”

“Gennady would have had to be in training two weeks ago already, but he went 12 hard rounds with Jacobs. There was also a question on the date. Frank wanted to move the date up a week. He wanted to go earlier in June. Bottom line is, Gennady won’t fight in June.

“They still are anxious to have him (fight in Kazakhstan). They want him to be there, and Gennady wanted to fight over there, but it would have been too quick of a turnaround. It was 12 hard rounds (against Jacobs last month).

“We’ll see what happens. If Chavez wins, we’d love to have a Chavez fight. If Canelo wins, that would be the priority.

“I’m still in contact with Golden Boy. I speak to Eric Gomez probably like twice a week. We’ll see what happens on May 6 and see if we can make a deal,” he added.

Your SEO optimized title