Joseph Parker’s promoters at Duco Boxing have released a short statement on the current situation regarding a May 6 fight with Hughie Fury.
WBO President Paco Valcarcel revealed the mandatory bout was cancelled on Saturday evening and Duco have now revealed the nature of the cancellation.
A request has also been approved for Parker to offer a ranked fighter the opportunity to replace Fury in his next fight.
Duco Events was today notified by the World Boxing Organisation that mandatory number one challenger Hughie Fury has an injury, and will be unable to challenge champion Joseph Parker for the Heavyweight Title on May 6th in Auckland.
The World Boxing Organisation has, therefore, advised Duco Events to investigate the possibility of Joseph Parker making a voluntary defence of his heavyweight title against an opponent ranked in the top 15 of the world rankings.
Duco Events is currently investigating all options and will make no further comment as yet.
Hughie Fury’s father and trainer Peter had already told WBN he hoped to reschedule the fight with Parker.
“We will be releasing details of the postponement in an announcement shortly. However, we are looking to put the fight back on in New Zealand as fast as possible,” Fury exclusively told World Boxing News.
As things currently stand, it’s seems Parker v Fury will not be happening anytime soon and will face an uphill battle to ever go ahead at all.
Fury has already been out for twelve months through injury and may need a warm-up of some sorts when he is finally fit again.