23
Oct
2019

Loeffler updates on Golovkin facing Canelo, Saunders or Charlo next

Golovkin v Jacobs 15/03/2017

Ed Mulholland

Gennady Golovkin’s promoter Tom Loeffler answered questions regarding the remainder of 2017 recently as the middleweight king gears up to battle Daniel Jacobs on Saturday night.

‘GGG’ has been linked to facing Billy Joe Saunders in a unification on June 10, plus Canelo Alvarez in September, whilst rumors ex-154 champion Jermall Charlo has moved up to fight Golovkin are now doing the rounds.

In response, Loeffler said the following: “There is no deal in place (for the future) and everyone is focused on the Danny Jacobs fight on the 18th. However, it is my job, because it has been so difficult to get fights for Gennady to look forward and it has always been his goal to unify all the titles. If there is a possibility for Saunders in the future and he’s ready, we would want the fight, but right now were focused on March 18th. If everything goes right on the 18th for Gennady then we will see what the next highest profile fight will be and that is the one title that has eluded him so far,” he said.

“We will see who is willing to get in the ring with him. A lot of people talk about fighting Gennady but very few people actually sign the contract. We know everything that happened last year with Canelo and Billy Joe Saunders with Chris Eubank and finally, Kell Brook was the one to step up and take the fight. We have a lot of respect for Kell Brook and we have a lot of respect for Danny Jacobs – he actually signed the contract to get in the ring and he was a mandatory challenger; Gennady also fulfills all of his mandatory obligations. This is the highest profile fight and the most dangerous fight Gennady has had.

“There is no way anyone could look past this fight but I am certainly in discussions with many different promoters to see who would actually be available and willing to fight him if he is victorious in March.”

On the Canelo fight, Loeffler added: “We are having discussions but there are two big ifs’ there. Gennady has got to win March 18 and Canelo has got to win May 6 and if those two things don’t happen there is no fight.

“If Golden Boy is ready and if Canelo is ready to make the deal then we would be open to it but it is my job to look forward. If Gennady is not successful next week then it doesn’t matter what plans I make or Abel or the Hermann brothers make – that all goes out the window.

“We have a lot of respect for Jacobs and he is the biggest challenge for Gennady. He has great hand speed and he is physically bigger than Gennady and will present a tremendous match-up.”

Finally, regarding Charlo moving up, he stated: “Any of the top middleweights are in his future. It was nice to see Charlo move up to 160 and it adds another great fighter into the mix.

“If successful March 18th we will look at the best fights possible,” pointed out Loeffler.

Your SEO optimized title