The Floyd Mayweather v Conor McGregor saga continues as the American has now responded to the Irishman’s claim Las Vegas is ‘his city’ upon landing in the fight capital of the world.
‘Money’ had previously put out a statement say a deal was not done between the pair in direct response to press rumours, whilst reiterating his retirement in the process.
Mayweather said on Tuesday night: “Although there has been several rumors circulating thru media suggesting that I will have an upcoming fight, I’d like to set that record straight and state that there has been no deals made on my behalf in regards to a bout with any fighter at this time.
“I am happily retired and enjoying my life! Rest assured that if any changes come about, I will be the first to let the world know!”
McGregor’s double social media comeback sparked a reaction from Mayweather who all but confirmed that the two-weight champion’s UFC contract is holding the fight up.
“Listen, Conor McGregor, if you really want to get this fight done… take care of your business with the UFC and then have your people get in touch with my people,” said the boxing superstar, adding further fuel to the fire which has already been considerably stoked over the past 24 hours.
As things stand, McGregor has a four-fight deal with Dana White which has to be respected but is known to be attempting to cite the Ali Act of 1999 to negotiate the fight on his own terms.
Now it seems McGregor will have to at least cut the UFC in on any deal with Mayweather before the red tape can be negotiated for a possible fight towards the end of 2017.
Wednesday morning’s u-turn from Mayweather is highly unsurprising given the amount of money to be made from a cross-codes agreement with McGregor.