Exclusive: Jason Sosa says Vasyl Lomachenko’s weakness is ‘someone actually fighting back’
Super featherweight Jason Sosa has enjoyed a whirlwind fourteen months since initially surprising the boxing world by scoring a draw with formidable Jamaican Nicholas Walters at Turning Stone.
The 28 year-old, who many believe did enough to beat Walters, has since built on the victory by firstly defeating Javier Fortuna to claim the WBA featherweight crown before defending it successfully against Briton Stephen Smith.
Sosa’s reward is an April 8 clash against WBN Fighter of the Year all-round boxing superstar Vasyl Lomachenko and ‘El Canito’ is thoroughly looking forward to the challenge of unifying the 130 pound belts.
“I think it’s a dream come true and what champions are supposed to do – fight champions,” Sosa exclusively told World Boxing News when asked his thoughts on the announcement.
“It’s been a great year for me and I’m not planning on ending it anytime soon. It’s been an honor to have fought in China and France against two great fighters.
“Loma is a challenge for me. He’s one of the best out there and I love challenges. There is weakness in him though as I believe someone that is going to actually fight back will give him problems.
“I predict a Fight of the Year and Upset of the Year all in one when we fight and I’m not worried about being the underdog. I’m never worried about anyone and will give my best in this fight.”
Asked whether the venue had been confirmed for the MGM National Harbour in Maryland, Sosa added: “At this point, I’m not sure about the venue but I think so.”
Sosa could change the whole boxing landscape with a victory in the spring as Lomachenko is seen as the future of Top Rank once Manny Pacquiao retires and a nailed on pound for pound king of the future.
As Orlando Salido showed in just Lomachenko’s second fight, though, the Ukrainian is not invincible and Sosa will surely be channeling that triumph when he trades blows with the two-time Olympic champion at Oxon Hill.