Ultimately, the decision lies with Brook about whether he fights again at the 147 pound limit, after previously moving up to middleweight in losing to pound for pound star Gennady Golovkin.
Being tight at the weight, it was always assumed welterweight champion Brook would give up his belt and push on at 154 pounds, although Hearn says ‘The Special One’ is not one for dropping his championship without a fight.
“I want him to move to 154lbs, he doesn’t want to vacate his title, so if he doesn’t vacate his title, he has to fight Errol Spence,” Hearn told Sky Sports.
“It’s a big fight, but it’s a tough fight. I just feel like why be in the fights that are as tough as that when you’re going to deplete yourself and take away some of your advantages.
“It looks like Errol Spence next. At this stage 70-80 per cent,” he added.
Hearn was due to hold a meeting with Brook this weekend to discuss the next move, with an announcement likely at any moment regarding the final decision.
Spence is regarded as the most dangerous operator in the division, having impressed on several occasions in the past two years, whilst the IBF have called a purse bid for February 7 to rule on the outcome of his mandatory chance.