REIGNING QLD CHAMPION JAMIE HILT BEGINS HIS 2017 QUEST towards the Australian title with a five round welterweight contest against Newcastle’s Eddie Dos Santos on March 11.
It’s the first pro bout announced for the TGW & Smithy Bring the Big Fights 16 card to be held at Rumours International, Toowoomba.
Hilt is five wins one draw and loss while Dos Santos has built a record of four wins two draws and just the one loss.
“Jamie finished 2016 with bang taking out the Queensland welterweight title so now we are chasing the Australian title in 2017,” Fight Promoter and Hilt’s Manager Brendon Smith said.
“If Jamie is to challenge for the National title he needs to score a win over a good fighter like Eddie Dos Santos to keep climbing the ladder.
“On paper this is a very even match, both boys only have one loss on their record and both have seven career bouts to their name.
“Jamie is one of our most popular fighters in Toowoomba and is always in crowd pleasing action fights.
“This one will be no different. In many ways it’s almost an Australian title eliminator.
“Both boys are looking to progress their careers and need to go through each other to climb the ladder and move closer to the National title.”
Eddie Dos Santos will be making his Queensland debut with his seven previous bouts staged in either New South Wales or Victoria.
“I’m looking forward to fighting in Toowoomba,” Dos Santos said.
“It’s a great matched fight against a tough opponent.
“Jamie Hilt is the current Queensland champion so it’s a great opportunity for me to showcase my skills.
“It’s a great test to prove I’m up there with the top fighters in the division.
“I’m coming to win and believe I can win.”
Hilt is equally excited by the challenge and the opportunity to press his claims for the National title.
“This is a great challenge for me,” Hilt said.
“Winning the Queensland title was a dream come true last year and hopefully in 2017 I can prove worthy of an Australian title shot.
“Eddie has a good record and I believe the biggest challenge of my career to date.
“I love the challenge, I’ll be giving it my all to win.
“I understand what’s at stake and I want to start 2017 with a win.”
“I’ll be putting in the hard yards with my trainer Craig Monagle and we will be 100% ready come March 11.
“If I prepare well and fight to the best of my ability hopefully that’s good enough for me to have my hand raised at the end of the bout.”
It’s the first of many announcements which will be made in the coming weeks regarding the March 11 TGW & Smithy Bring the Big Fights 16 card.
“We’ve started with a bang with Jamie Hilt vs Eddie Dos Santos,” Smith said.
“We’ve also announced the $5000 footy tag team bout as well as the third annual Brayd Smith City vs Country amateur cup.
“Queensland super lightweight champion Steven Spark, Australian champion Brent Rice, OPBF No.2 Herman Ene-Purcell, undefeated Aaron Phillips, up and coming female bantamweight Mel Baker as well as the returning Jack Asis are all huge chances of appearing on this card.
“We will have more news in the next few weeks.”