Top Rank founder and Chief Executive, Bob Arum has today confirmed Australian welterweight sensation and WBO#2 Jeff Horn, as the number one contender to fight WBO welterweight champion Manny Pacquiao, in either Australia, the Middle East or the USA in April.
Duco Events, Horn’s promotion team, is now working to secure the funding for the fight to happen in Australia.
“The preference for all parties is for the fight to be held in Australia, and we are working towards this outcome,” said Duco Events Promoter, Dean Lonergan from Las Vegas.
Bob Arum says his preference is to hold the fight in an outdoor stadium on April 22 or 23.
“I would expect 3-4000 Filipinos to fly from the Philippines for this fight down under,” said Mr Arum.
“It will be the biggest boxing fight in Australian history but, until the money is secured, we have to keep our options open, including looking at the Middle East and USA.
“But I love the idea of doing the fight outdoors”.
Horn, with a 16-0-1 record, including 11 knockouts, has beaten ten Top 15 ranked opponents on a fast tracked schedule, since being singled out at the 2012 Olympic Games as the best fighter Australia has produced in a generation.
As well as his WBO#2 ranking, the 28 year old is also ranked IBF#2, WBA#10 and WBC#13.
Australian boxing legend Jeff Fenech, has previously described Horn’s style as being the same as how he fought in his heyday, when he won three world titles in the 1980s.
Pacquiao, who is a senator of the Philippines, is the only boxer in history to win world titles in eight weight divisions.
Named ‘Fighter of the Decade’ for the 2000s, by the Boxing Writers Association of America, the 38 year old, with a 59-6-2 record, is in his third reign as WBO welterweight champion after beating Jesse Vargas in Las Vegas last November.