16
Feb
2019

Exclusive: GGG v Canelo talks progressing well, says Coach Sanchez

Phil Jay 07/01/2017

Respected trainer Abel Sanchez has informed WBN that star fighter Gennady Golovkin remains on course to fight Canelo Alvarez this year.

Sanchez, who has been instrumental in guiding Golovkin to a prominent position within the Pound for Pound Rankings, has been updated by promoter Tom Loeffler on the current situation.

“Tom tells me that they are progressing well with the negotiations,” Sanchez exclusively told World Boxing News.

“I really hope they are concluded as it’s a fight boxing needs. The fans need the best fights that can be made to happen.”

Asked whether Golovkin would consider moving up in weight should Canelo fail to agree the contest for this year, Sanchez said the 168 division may not be the immediate target.

“At this point, we are not thinking about that. When you are a unified champion it comes with obligations,” he said. “There are mandatories from all the organisations, so those need to be satisfied before we think about moving up. Gennady wants all the belts,” added Sanchez.

Golovkin, 34, faces Danny Jacobs on March 18 before moving on to a potential summer bout and eventually Canelo if finalized, whilst Sanchez previously sent out a stark warning to anyone at the 160 limit.

“We are happy that we have a fight and we are getting this mandatory out of the way,” Sanchez had told WBN earlier in the week.

“I’m hoping Danny Jacobs is true to his word and comes to fight. Everything about him and the things he has said – indicate that we will have a barnburner for as long it lasts on March 18.

“I’m afraid it won’t be good for him though as nobody at 160 will last the distance with Golovkin.

“If they at least try to win, it could be better but I’m afraid he won’t see the end of this fight.”

Your SEO optimized title