Former world champion and top-ranked welterweight contender Amir Khan says he’s closing in on announcing his next foe as reports intensify of a possible fight with Kell Brook.
Khan has been out of action since a May knockout loss to Canelo Alvarez at a 155 pound catchweight but may need a warm-up fight before any potential stadium fight against his long-time British rival.
A hand injury added to Khan’s attempts to return to the ring sooner, although the 30 year-old says the healing process is now complete ahead of his next outing.
“Working hard. Soon to announce who I will be fighting, Hand feels great,” Khan said on his social media account.
Working hard. Soon to announce who I will be fighting, Hand feels great!
— Amir Khan (@amirkingkhan) December 29, 2016
Whether a pre-Brook bout comes to fruition remains to be seen as Khan nears what could be a money-spinning encounter with one of the most respected 147 pound champions on the planet.
Brook gave a good showing in his five round defeat to middleweight force Gennady Golovkin in September, enhancing his reputation in the process as well as his stock Stateside. This could be the main reason Khan has been receptive to Brook’s advances this time around as the ex-Olympian had previously dismissed any notion of the battle.
Wembley Stadium is being linked to the staging of a second super-fight involving a Briton in 2017 after Anthony Joshua agreed a deal to face Wladimir Klitschko on April 29 at the famous venue.
Khan v Brook sharing a bill with Joshua v Klitschko would no doubt elevate the night to even greater status, although that decision lies solely in the hands of promoter Eddie Hearn, who may opt for a date later in the summer.