Undefeated contender Hughie Fury has been placed as the new mandatory challenger to Joseph Parker’s World Boxing Organisation heavyweight title, father and trainer Peter has informed WBN.
Fury was behind David Haye in the recently announced WBO rankings for December, although the 22 year-old is now the number one as the ‘Hayemaker’ follows through with a fight against Tony Bellew.
With Haye v Bellew taking place in March at The O2 Arena in London, it means any Parker obligated clash would be off the table until the summer – at the earliest – leaving Fury free to claim that spot as the number two.
“Hughie has been told by Frank Warren he’s now mandatory with the WBO. Frank has been negotiating and trying to bring the fight with Joseph Parker here in the UK,” Fury exclusively told World Boxing News.
“Hughie is currently working over the Christmas period in France and is ready to make his mark in 2017. We will accept the fight with Parker or any other world title fight.
“We are looking to make the fight for April if it can be done,” he added.
Talks for Parker to face Fury in what will be the New Zealander’s first defence come swiftly on the back of World Boxing Council ruler Deontay Wilder lining up a clash with Andrzej Wawrzyk on February 25 in the US.
American puncher Wilder had been linked to giving Fury a shot at his coveted green and gold WBC title belt, but it now looks more likely to be the WBO route for the cousin of former unified king Tyson.