WBN 10: Conor McGregor boxing debut opponents
Conor McGregor is gearing up to swap the octagon for the squared circle in 2017 and has already alerted three former world champions who want a shot at the UFC Champion.
Paulie Malignaggi, Chris Van Heerden and Shane Mosley have all informed WBN of their availability this week since McGregor was granted a license to box in the State of California.
McGregor, 28, seems to be on the verge of leaving his lofty perch in UFC to earn bigger paychecks in boxing and there are plenty of options open to the Irishman as he bids to entice Floyd Mayweather Jr.
WBN counts down the Top 10 choices for McGregor, who certainly isn’t ready and wouldn’t be granted a shot at any world champion just yet.
10. Robert Guerrero – Firmly on the slide, Guerrero would represent that ex-Mayweather opponent McGregor is looking for without a big slice of the danger.
9. Victor Ortiz – Another on Mayweather’s C.V and a smart choice being from California.
8. Frankie Gavin – As a former world amateur champion, Gavin would be a sound choice should McGregor want that English v Irish angle for his first boxing bout.
7. Shane Mosley – ‘Sugar Shane’ is currently in semi-retirement but told WBN he’d have no problem giving McGregor an ‘ass-whooping’ should the right offer come his way.
6. DeMarcus Corley – Still active at the age of 42, Corley has the Floyd Mayweather factor in his favour as well as 27 losses into the bargain.
5. Thomas Dulorme – Recently sharing rounds with Mayweather, Dulorme would provide a good test for McGregor.
4. Chris Van Heerden – Having sparred McGregor, Van Heerden is adamant he schooled the 28 year-old, which in itself would add extra spice to a meeting next year.
3. Ashley Theophane – A Floyd Mayweather fighter would be perfect for McGregor to get the ex-pound for pound juices flowing. Should McGregor defeat Theophane, his promoter Mayweather would then have the perfect excuse for revenge.
2. Paulie Malignaggi – Facing the ‘Magic Man’ makes the most sense for McGregor without the Mayweather element as the-weight world champion has the reputation needed and doesn’t pose a knockout threat. Malignaggi would be a good gauge of the boxing skills ‘The Notorious possesses and could set McGregor up for bigger tests to come if successful.
1. Andre Berto – As the last man to ever face Mayweather in the ring, Berto would be the number one choice to see where McGregor is at.