El Mousaoui handed Rodriguez test as Malignaggi EBU consolation
Instead of a touted clash with former world champion Paulie Malignaggi, ex-French title holder Ahmed El Mousaoui will battle Ceferino Rodriguez for the vacant welterweight title.
The 26 year-old, who boasts a 2015 win over Junior Witter on his C.V, will travel Rodriguez’s backyard of Las Palmas, Spain on December 2 in a bid to add the full title to the EU version he won in 2014.
“I feel in perfect health, determined and ready. I’ve been waiting for this moment for a long time,” El Mousaoui told World Boxing News.
“Fighting in my home country or abroad does not change anything. I will give my very best in this fight as it would be a great step ahead for an upcoming world ranking.”
Asked his knowledge of opponent Rodriguez, who has lost just once in 24 contests, El Mousaoui replied: “I think he’s a good fighter, he can move, is smart and he’s got good skills.
“I know he has one loss but I actually did not see this fight.”
The Malignaggi fight was rumoured to have been on the cards for earlier this year until the ‘Magic Man’ accepted a more lucrative offer and El Mousaoui has now put the potential encounter firmly behind him in a bid to secure the blue strap.
“It would have been a great opportunity for me to fight someone like Paulie Malignaggi but I totally understand why he accepted another fight and maybe in the future we can meet,” he said.