Exclusive: Stephen Smith talks Jason Sosa, confident he’ll win well
Super-featherweight contender Stephen Smith aims to put the disappointment of losing out to Jose Pedraza firmly behind him when the Liverpool man tackles Jason Sosa for the WBA title on November 12.
The 31 year-old, who is second oldest of the famous Smith Brothers quartet, put on a sterling display when travelling to Connecticut in April but just lost out on points to the IBF champion who was stronger down the stretch.
Regrouped and rejuvenated, Smith earned himself another crack at 130 pound gold when defeating Daniel Brizuela on Tony Bellew’s Goodison show in May and heads to Monte Carlo next weekend where ‘Swfity’ plans on ripping away Sosa’s belt.
Prior to travel plans being executed for the huge Matchroom show, Smith is confident everything possible has been done in the gym to ensure the world championship heads back to Merseyside.
“I’ve probably enjoyed this camp as much as most, really. They’re always tough but I’ve enjoyed the things we worked and I’m really looking forward to the fight,” Smith exclusively told World Boxing News.
“Tactically, it’s been very different as Pedraza and Sosa have opposite styles. I do think Sosa will suit me though and it’s a fight that I will look good in.”
Belief in himself is something Smith has never lacked and had in abundance before the Pedraza fight, so when asked if those levels could get any higher this time around, the talented fighter once again had no doubts he could overcome his upcoming opponent.
“Definitely. I always knew Pedraza was a tough fight as I was fighting against a world champion so you don’t expect nothing easy. I’m really confident for this one though as I think I will win well,” he said.
“Sosa is strong and what you see is what you get with him, really. He not technically flawed but he doesn’t look that special in one certain area. He’s a good solid fighter and he looks heavy handed so I’ll have to keep my wits about me. I’ll have to use my boxing brain first and foremost.”
The solitary loss on Sosa’s record came against little-known Tre’Sean Wiggins back in 2010 when the American was dropped three times on his way to a crushing first round stoppage in his hometown of New Jersey.
Since then, ‘El Canito’ has drawn a trio of contests, most notably against undefeated world star Nicholas Walters, but it was Sosa’s win over Javier Fortuna last time out that really got the 27 year-old noticed.
“Sosa has shown in the past he can be hurt as he’s been knocked out, so it’s not unforeseen for me to go out there and land on him early. Then we’ll see where we go from there,” the former British title holder pointed out.
“In regards to the Walters fight, I thought Sosa lost that fight and there’s no way he deserved a draw out of it. On paper, it looks a great result, as do Sosa’s last two fights having drawn with Walters and beaten Fortuna.
“It looks good for him and his is a respected champion, so there can be no saying it looks like I’m getting him at the better time because he’s at the height of his career right now.”
In a recent story with trainer Joe Gallagher, a prediction was made that all four of the famous boxing siblings could contest a world title at some point this season on the back of Smith’s Monaco chance, something the boxer himself would love to see – but only with the right result for all concerned.
“It’s exciting times for us as a family. We try to push each other on and help each other to be as successful as we can, so if the four of us fight for a world title in one season it will be something that’s quite unheard of.
“It’s something we’ll be proud of but obviously, we want to go and win the titles,” added Smith.