16
Jul
2019

Exclusive: Sulaiman explains Garcia v Vargas/Thurman title situation

Phil Jay 22/10/2016

Picture by WBC

WBC President Mauricio Sulaiman says mandatory challenger Amir Khan’s injury made the decision to allow welterweight champion, Danny Garcia to compete in a non-title fight an easy one.

Khan underwent hand surgery earlier this year and told WBN he’s out of action until at least the spring, meaning a stipulated clash was unable to be made in the next six months.

Ahead of a proposed and massive unification with Keith Thurman, slated for around the same time Khan returns, the WBC decided to give Garcia special dispensation not to defend his belt until then.

Garcia now takes on Canadian-Colombian Samuel Vargas on November 12 in Philadelphia before attempting to finalize a deal to battle Thurman for two championships in February or March of 2017.

“The WBC has been actively participating to support the best fights happening,” Sulaiman exclusively told World Boxing News.

“Danny Garcia has confirmed a major fight against Keith Thurman which will certainly be of great interest worldwide. Danny Garcia’s mandatory challenger, who is Amir Khan, sustained an injury and underwent surgery so there is no impediment stopping Garcia from a non-title bout – with the goal to eventually meet Keith Thurman.”

Sulaiman continued: “Nobody in the world can argue that Garcia vs Thurman is not a great fight.

“Garcia is also a great champion and the WBC is proud of him. He has fought and defeated some of the best fighters in recent years, including Erik Morales, Amir Khan, Zab Judas, Lucas Mathysse and Robert Guerrero.”

On the actual Garcia v Thurman fight taking place, a spokesperson for Thurman’s team told WBN: “Keith has said numerous times he wants to take on all comers, including Danny Garcia. He wants to become the unified and true welterweight division champion and will continue to do that in 2017.”

Your SEO optimized title