Tyson Fury released a picture of himself on Tuesday posing with his mass of heavyweight title belts ahead of a decision regarding his current status.
The 28 year-old showed off his Ring Magazine, IBO, WBO, WBA, IBF, Irish and European crowns – amongst others – as work goes on behind the scenes to strip him.
World Boxing Organisation chiefs sent out an official letter to Fury on Monday asking for him to explain why they shouldn’t act following recent headline stories.
— GYPSYKING, (@Tyson_Fury) October 11, 2016
Fury pulled out of his rematch with Wladimir Klitschko for a second time and admitted to drug and alcohol abuse which should ultimately mean his position diminishes.
The WBA had already done similar to Fury by giving his ten days to prove his condition last week, whilst only the IBO are yet to put out anything public on the matter.
Trainer and uncle Peter told WBN this week that he believes Fury deserves to keep his straps should he be able to return in the spring of 2017 as treatment continues for his state of mind.
“I think he should have been given the chance to keep hold of the belts until he’s in a good place but it’s not my decision I’m afraid,” Fury exclusively told World Boxing News.
“If it was up to me, obviously I’d say he should have kept them because he’d have probably been back in the ring by March or April next year.”
On whether losing the belts could have an adverse effect on Fury’s mental problems, Peter added: “I don’t think the titles are going to make so much difference as he’s a big name in boxing.
“When he gets his required treatment and he comes back, he’ll just step back into big fights – I assume.”