French lightweight star Yvan Mendy will fight for the IBF Inter-Continental belt on November 10 in a show organised by MK Events, promoter Mehdi Lafifi informed WBN on Wednesday.
Mendy will face Italian Massimiliano Ballisai with the aim of advancing in the IBF rankings and eventually challenging the new world champion, American Robert Easter Jr.
“I am ready to go to the United States and defeat Easter Jr.,” Mendy exclusively told World Boxing News.
“I can tell you, Easter Jr. absolutely does not scare me and I know I can take the belt.”
Mendy has received several high-profile proposals this summer including the chance to contest two world championships, but the 31 year-old intends to bide his time until the right opportunity arises.
“The title shots have been there but we are building towards something big,” said Mendy. “I would like to fight for the EBU to finally put my European chapter behind me after my win over Francesco Patera for the EU title this spring – that’s a possibility for me but champion Edis Tatli has a challenger.”
Tatli currently holds a firm grip on the 135 pound EBU strap but has mandatory obligations to Manuel Lancia in the future. Right now. Mendy is focused on Ballisai after a successful 2016 where he had previously defended his WBC International belt by knockout against Samir Kasmi, a title he had won in London via a superb victory over Olympic gold medallist Luke Campbell in 2015.
Promoter Laffifi explained to WBN that a rematch with Campbell had also been discussed.
“We are in touch with Luke Cambell’s promoter Eddie Hearn in order to give him his revenge fight,” said Lafifi.
“Yvan was the undoubtedly the obvious winner that day, to all observers and even the British fans. It’s not strange that the English judge gave the fight to Campbell, though.
“However, the EU title has now been abandoned because we believe that Mendy deserves a big fight, Edis Talti seems tied up so we are looking for a great title with good conditions and we are looking to face a champion,” he added.