BBBofC comment on Mike Towell death, begin ‘gathering information’
In the wake of the tragic circumstances surrounding the death of Dundee welterweight Mike Towell, the British Boxing Board of Control have revealed they are now officially looking into the matter.
Towell, 25, lost his fight for life on Friday just hours after losing in five rounds to Welshman Dale Evans at St. Andrew Sporting Club amidst an out-pouring of grief from the boxing community.
In the aftermath of Towell’s death, his girlfriend put out a heartfelt statement revealing ‘Iron’ Mike had been suffering from headaches leading up to the fight, something manager Tommy Gilmour knew nothing about.
This will be something the British Board look into as they attempt to piece together exactly what may have contributed to the untimely death of the Lonsdale Belt contender.
A statement received by WBN on Monday said: “The British Boxing Board of Control sends their condolences to the family of Mike Towell.
“The thoughts of all those involved in Boxing in Great Britain are with them at this difficult time
“The British Boxing Board of Control are in the process of gathering information from all relevant parties in relation to the contest which took place on the 29th September 2016 and will advise of further action by the Stewards of the Board at a later date.”
Opponent Evans is said to be distraught by the death of his opponent last week but has vowed to claim the UK title in his honour despite initially contemplating retirement.