The WBC believes in transparency and administrative disclosure. WBC annual convention meetings determine world rankings and the mandatory status of each division in open floor meetings in which all parties have the opportunity to discuss and present their cases for consideration, analysis, and voting by the WBC Board of Governors.
The WBC began to report this information in 2015 to bring clarity and transparency to the WBC’s administration for the public, and to provide clear reports from what is agreed and what happens during the course of each year.
WBC QUARTERLY REPORT ABOUT CONVENTION RULINGS ON EACH DIVISION: September 2016
SUPER WELTERWEIGHT CHAMPION: Jermell Charlo
In honor of his incredible career that spanned almost 19 years and in which he won WBC world titles in five weight divisions, Floyd Mayweather Jr. was awarded the WBC Lifetime Achievement Award and named Champion Emeritus in the super welterweight and welterweight divisions.
· Charles Hatley defeated Anthony Mundine by TKO11 and won the Silver title.
· The original order issued at the convention for the tournament was:
· Jermell Charlo vs. John Jackson for the vacant title.
· Demetrius Andrade vs. Charley Hatley for the first mandatory. Parties informed that they had an agreement in place and then Andrade group changed the terms so the fight was not staged and they were not willing to fight each other.
· Vanes Martirosyan vs. Julian Williams – semifinal elimination. Williams withdrew from participating and fought for another organization in the process.
· Ishe Smith vs. Jorge Cota – semifinal elimination. This fight has been scheduled and postponed several times. Today there is no certainty that this fight will happen.
· The winners of the two semi-final eliminations would fight each other for the wildcard.
· Austin Trout was placed as wildcard – he did not accept to participate.
· The WBC ordered Charles Hatley vs. Vanes Martirosyan for the first mandatory. Vane’s group informed he would not participate.
· The WBC Board of Governors voted in favor to appoint Charles Hatley as the first mandatory.
· Jermell Charlo defeated John Jackson by KO8 on May 21 and won the vacant title.
· Demetrius Andrade defeated Willie Nelson by TKO12 on June 11 and is the second mandatory.
· Ishe Smith vs. Jorge Cota semifinal eliminator – August.
· Champion Charlo will make his first mandatory against Charles Hatley. Both parties informed that they have reached an agreement but there is no information about date and place of the bout.
· Demetrius Andrade, who is the second mandatory, has signed to fight for another organization and this case will be reviewed at the WBC convention.
It is very unfortunate that the super welterweight tournament, as planned, has been disrupted by the withdrawal of several fighters and irresponsible actions, which have lead to inactivity of some fighters who have waited for those matches to happen.
WELTERWEIGHT CHAMPION: Danny Garcia
· Danny Garcia defeated Robert Guerrero by KO9 and won the vacant welterweight title on January 23.
· Sammy Vasquez defeated Aaron Martinez by TKO 6 in a semi-final elimination on January 23.
· Miguel Barrionuevo defeated Cosio by TKO5 in a semi-final elimination on January 30.
· The winner of Sammy Vasquez vs. Miguel Barrionuevo would determine the wildcard. Vazquez decided to take another route and lost a fight, consequently has withdrawn from the process.
· Ray Robinson was positioned as wildcard. Robinson stated throughout the process that he was willing and available and remained inactive waiting for the tournament to develop.
· Amir Khan, mandatory contender to Danny Garcia, will decide if he will use this right after his May 7 fight. Amir Khan has confirmed that he has opted to continue his career in boxing in welterweight and wishes to use his mandatory status.
· Lamont Peterson vs. Andre Berto – final elimination to determine the second mandatory. Purse offer February 26, Berto withdrew from his position.
· Lamont Peterson vs. Ray Robinson – final elimination – purse offer April 29. The WBC was informed Lamont Peterson was not interested in the fight.
· Charles Manyuchi defeated Dimitry Mikhaylenko by UD12 on May 6 and won the silver title.
· Amir Khan has undergone hand surgery and it is undetermined the time he will be out of the ring . The mandatory status of the division will be reviewed during the WBC convention.
It is very unfortunate that the welterweight tournament, as planned, has been disrupted by the withdrawal of several fighters and irresponsible actions which have lead to inactivity of some fighters who have waited for those matches to happen.