22
Apr
2019

Exclusive: Price happy top division has opened up since Fury’s win

Phil Jay 22/09/2016

UK heavyweight David Price is delighted to be back in amongst the top names of the division ahead of a planned return to action in October.

The 33 year-old previously told WBN he was looking to fight twice next month as a fight on the Anthony Joshua undercard looms for November 26 in Manchester. Price has been linked to fighting New Zealander Joseph Parker or even world champion Joshua himself on the massive Matchroom as Eddie Hearn struggles to nail down an opponent for the headliner.

Price has been linked to fighting New Zealander Joseph Parker or even world champion Joshua himself on the massive Matchroom as Eddie Hearn struggles to nail down an opponent for the headliner.

With nothing final yet, Price is just looking forward to getting back in the ring following his successful return back in May and says the highest weight class has opened up nicely since Tyson Fury upset the odds against Wladimir Klitschko in 2015.

“Everything has opened up since Fury went to Germany and won those belts,” Price exclusively told World Boxing News.

“When you look at it there’s a question of; when the Klitschko’s were dominating, were they really that good or what is because the challenges weren’t up to the standard? – Nobody knows the answer to it.

“Either way, it’s more exciting now because you have a fresh wave of talent coming through. Plus, the Americans are back in town and that always makes things interesting because they were always the flagship heavyweights. In the past, if you thought of the heavyweight champion of the world, you instantly thought American.

“It’s definitely exciting and great if I can get back up amongst it. If I win my next few fights I’ll be a major player in the division – full stop.

“Not just because it opens up the Anthony Joshua fight, but because there’ll be other options available to me from it and November 26 has a massive upside to me,” he added.”

Bermane Stiverne and Alexander Povetkin have reached an agreement to fight for the WBC’s mandatory spot for Deontay Wilder, leaving only Kubrat Pulev and Parker on Hearn’s initial shortlist of three for Joshua.

Pulev seems to be playing hardball, leaving only Parker or possibly Price as alternatives for ‘AJ’ and his second defence of the title.

Your SEO optimized title