Povetkin v Stiverne agreement reached for Wilder mandatory
The WBC believes in transparency and administrative disclosure.
WBC annual convention meetings determine world rankings and the mandatory status of each division in open floor meetings in which all parties have the opportunity to discuss and present their cases for consideration, analysis, and voting by the WBC Board of Governors.
The WBC began to report this information in 2015 to bring clarity and transparency to the WBC’s administration for the public, and to provide clear reports from what is agreed and what happens during the course of each year.
WBC QUARTERLY REPORT ABOUT CONVENTION RULINGS ON EACH DIVISION: September 2016
HEAVYWEIGHT WORLD CHAMPION: DEONTAY WILDER (US)
· Alexander Povetkin defeated Mariusz Wach by TKO12 on November 4, 2015
· Wilder defeated Spilka by KO9 on January 16, 2016
· Wilder vs. Povetkin – mandatory – purse offer February 26, won by World of Boxing.
· Johann Duhaupas defeated Robert Helenius by KO6 and won the silver title on April 2.
· Wilder vs. Povetkin fight, scheduled to take place on May 21, was postponed by adverse sample result of Povetkin.
· On June 2 the WBC granted champion Wilder a voluntary defense.
· Champion Wilder made his voluntary defense and defeated Chris Arreola by TKO8 on July 16.
· Champion Wilder suffered multiple injuries which required surgery. WBC confirmed him as champion, and Wilder will have the time required to recover from such injuries while maintaining his rights as champion .
· WBC ordered an interim world title between Alexander Povetkin and Bermane Stiverne.
The promoters of both have confirmed an agreement has been reached and will advise the date and site of the fight soon.
· The mandatory status of the division will be determined during the WBC convention.