On the back of his knockout win over Amir Khan in May, Canelo declared himself ready to fight middleweight king Golovkin, only to drop back down to 154 pounds in order to win another world title.
Securing a third world championship against Liam Smith with a ninth round stoppage in Texas on Saturday night, Canelo then revealed through an interpreter that his promoter Oscar De La Hoya had made a massive offer to ‘GGG’ and his team in August.
“I was born for this, and even though a lot of people may not like it, I am the best fighter right now,” said Canelo.
“So about a month ago, we offered him (Golovkin) two or three times as much to make the fight. I didn’t want to say anything because we respect all our rivals but he just didn’t want to accept.”
“We are a team and I’m not going to blame my promoter or anyone else but I fear no-one. I’m 26 years old and I’ve fought against the best. Like I said, I’m the best fighter right now.”
A previous agreement had been leaked by Oscar De La Hoya to make the fight in 2017, although this latest development gives renewed hope that the encounter could be made earlier than in twelve months time.