01
Apr
2020

Floyd Mayweather: Same questions over and over, I’m not coming back!

Phil Jay 28/08/2016
Floyd Mayweather

Stephanie Trapp

Pound for pound king Floyd Mayweather Jr. has once again stated his desire to remain retired from boxing despite consistent reports the American will return at some point in the future.

The 39 year-old has been out of action almost a year now since beating Andre Berto in a farewell clash, although ex-opponent Canelo recently told WBN he believes Mayweather will make a comeback.

‘Money’ was adamant this wasn’t the case though and says he just wants to support his own stable of fighters in his role as head of Mayweather Promotions.

“That’s old. I like to leave stuff that’s old in the past and move on. “They ask me the same questions a thousand times and I say that I’m not coming back. They ask me the same questions over and over and over again. I just want to help these young fighters. That’s what it’s all about,” Mayeather told reporters including Fighthype.com and Elie Seckbach in the dressing room after protégé Danny Gonzalez won his debut on Saturday night.

“I had a good run, a nineteen-year run and was world champion so I had a good run.

“I just want to keep helping fighters. Young fighters grow and let’s get them to that next level,” he added.

Mayweather will drop out of the World Boxing News P4P rankings in just two weeks’ time once fights involving Roman Gonzalez and Gennady Golovkin are completed on September 10, with one of the two HBO stars in line for the throne.

Should the former Olympian stick to his word as promised, he will remain level with Rocky Marciano on 49-0 and will have no need to use the TBE 50 and TMT 50 trademarks Mayweather purchased earlier this year.