Exclusive: Canelo ‘would love to fight Pacquiao’ – predicts Mayweather return
Mexican superstar Canelo Alvarez spoke to WBN during media duties this week to confirm a future fight with Manny Pacquiao is high on his list of potential match-ups.
The former two-weight world champion also stated that he expects Floyd Mayweather to fight for the 50th time as a professional in the future as the 26 year-old prepares for his clash with Liam Smith on September 17.
“Oh I think Floyd Mayweather will fight again. Mayweather thrives in the spotlight so much it will happen,” Canelo exclusively told World Boxing News.
On a potential fight with the newly-elected Filipino Senator, Canelo added: “I would love to fight Manny Pacquiao but that’s looking ahead and disrespectful to Liam Smith.
“Liam Smith is a world champion and a very tough fighter. He’s a tough guy and I’m challenging him. He’s the champion and a worthy one,” he said.
Canelo’s only career defeat came against Mayweather in 2013 as the Jalisco native prepares to reach his own half century of fights at Dallas Cowboys Stadium in Texas next month.
A rematch has been touted as one of the only current tests on offer for Mayweather as Canelo was only a fresh-faced 22 at the time of the first fight and has filled out considerably since then.
In regards to Pacquiao, the weight could be a sticking point as the ‘Pacman’ is known to be hovering around 140-147 pounds in the twilight of his career.
It seems highly unlikely that Canelo could get much lower than 154 pounds and Pacquiao has already stated that a move back up to super-welterweight is not in his plans. If the money was right, I’m sure Pacquiao and Canelo would be able to come to an amicable agreement for the scaling.
Pacquiao, 37, is due to challenge Jessie Vargas for the welterweight world title on November 5 after initially announcing his retirement when out-pointing Timothy Bradley convincingly last April.