Hollywood star Idris Elba takes to the ring for Discovery series
British actor and Hollywood superstar Idris Elba is set to enter the ring for the first time on Wednesday, all in aid of a new documentary series for the Discovery Channel.
The 43 year-old star of hit UK TV series ‘Luther’ and big screen blockbusters ‘The Jungle Book’ and ‘Star Trek: Beyond’ has been training for some time to take on a professional fighter.
“Cutting weight, two days before my first fight, mind in the right place. Fear NO guy,” said Elba via his social media.
As reported via Deadline, Elba stated it was always his desire to meet another man in one-to-one combat, although whether the contest will be boxing or kickboxing is not confirmed due to conflicting reports.
“It has been a lifelong ambition of mine to fight professionally. Entering the ring to further test myself as a human being is a challenge I have been looking to take on for quite some time,” Elba told Deadline.
The bout takes place this week and will be shown as part of Elba’s ongoing ‘No Limits’ series for Discovery which has so far put the ‘Thor’ star in several precarious situations.
The Londoner has been filmed drag-racing, toying with land speed and taking part in aerobatics for the show which airs on Mondays at 9pm in the UK.
Elba’s encounter is not due to be aired until early 2017.