19
Jan
2020

Arum predicts two more Pacquiao fights in 2017 before retirement

Phil Jay 12/08/2016

Top Rank promoter Bob Arum has put a three-fight plan together before the expected and final retirement of star fighter Manny Pacquiao’s career.

Pacquiao, 37, made a swift return from hanging up his gloves for the first time in April and returns to face world welterweight title holder Jessie Vargas on November 5 in Las Vegas, Nevada.

Another outing is set to take place in April or May of next year, which Arum hopes will be a high-profile rematch with Floyd Mayweather, before Pacquiao bows of the sport at the back end of 2017.

“We’re all set for November 5,” Arum told reporters in the Philippines this week.

“He’s going to fight for the welterweight championship of the world against this tough young Mexican-American, Jessie Vargas.

“Hopefully, if he beats Vargas, there’ll be some other big fights available next year and I’m pretty sure that enough will be enough.

“By 2017, we will be seeing the end of Manny’s brilliant boxing career,” he added.

Choosing Vargas caused groans from boxing fans who wanted the ‘Pacman’ to oppose Terence Crawford instead, although the American’s coach Brian McIntyre has already informed WBN that he sees that fight happening in the spring if the Mayweather fight doesn’t materialize.

‘Bomac’ told World Boxing News last week: “I think they are trying to make a super-fight in 2017.

“It was down to Terence and Vargas in the end but I think they want to wait a little longer. I think they saw what Terence did to Viktor Postol and want to keep that fight for early next year.

“Once Pacquiao gets done with Jessie Vargas, I think a fight with Terence happens in February or March of 2017. It’s a super-fight that everyone wants and It will happen.

“We have no word from Bob Arum on it but I believe the fight will take place next year.”