Top Rank promoter Bob Arum believes a second fight between Floyd Mayweather and Manny Pacquiao can happen in 2017 and sees a different outcome this time around.
Mayweather moved to 49-0 after defeating Pacquiao in May 2015 via a unanimous decision, after which the Filipino underwent surgery for what was claimed to be a pre-fight injury to his shoulder.
Speaking in the Philippines at the confirmation of Pacquiao’s November 5 comeback against welterweight champion Jessie Vargas, Arum sounded out Mayweather for a 50th career outing and says a recovered ‘Pacman’ wins the rematch.
“Mayweather may be a possibility,” said Arum. “Mayweather is making noises about returning and going for a 50th fight, and let’s see. With a fully healed shoulder, I think Manny would give a better account of himself in that fight.
“I thought it was a very close fight. I thought Manny could have won that fight.
“When they fight again, if they fight again, I have no doubt that Manny will win,” he boldly stated.
Pacquiao v Vargas has not been greatly received by the boxing public since Michael Koncz made the initial announcement last week as the vast majority of fans wanted Terence Crawford to get the nod.
Crawford’s trainer Brian McIntyre exclusively informed WBN that he believes the choice of Vargas is just a delay to make the Pacquiao fight all the more bigger, which ‘Bomac’ told WBN he expects to happen in the spring of 2017.