28
Sep
2020

Haskins v Hall purse bid figures, September fight deadline set

Phil Jay 30/06/2016

Sophie Merlo

Lee Haskins will defend his IBF bantamweight title against former champion Stuart Hall on a Matchroom show this autumn, the International Boxing Federation have confirmed to WBN.

Promoter Eddie Hearn trumped a bid from TGB Promotions to stage the all-British world title contest, which is now tipped to be part of Kell Brook’s massive welterweight unification against Jessie Vargas.

According to IBF Chairman Lindsey Tucker, Matchroom Sport’s bid of $201,999 (£156,000) was more than double TGB’s $85,000 (£63,000) offer and means Hearn has another world title fight to add to next season’s calendar.

Current champion Haskins gets 75% of the purse, whilst Stuart Hall picks up the remaining 25% with Tucker also outlining that the fight has to take place in 90 days or by September 28, 2016 at the latest.

Haskins defended the red belt for the first time in May by defeating Ivan Morales, whilst Hall won the same strap in 2013 until dethroned by Randy Caballero a year later.

Should Haskins v Hall be confirmed for Brook v Vargas in September, Sheffield would be primed to host a double-header consisting of three world titles and increase the potential for Hearn to make the event pay-per-view.

There are no indications yet as to whether there are further plans to elevated Brook to the Sky Sports Box Office, following earlier plans to feature ‘The Special One’ last year on a double-header with Fury v Klitschko I.

Brook had been earmarked to feature on the paid service in October, 2015 until Fury v Klitschko was pushed back to November leaving Matchroom no choice but to switch the undefeated Yorkshireman to regular Sky Sports.