30
Sep
2020

BDB reviews Schmill v Konecna, changes official result

Antonin Vavrda 10/06/2016

Ester Konecna

A very dubious decision to change the official verdict of the fight between German rising star Bintou Schmill (13-0-0, 11 KOs) and Czech Ester Konecna (1-1-0, 0 KOs) has been made by the German Federation of Professional Boxers (BDB), who more than three months after the bout’s ending additionally awarded the victory to Schmill.

Do you still remember it? On Sunday, March 20, Konecna boxed Schmill in Hamburg and eventually beat the home fighter by a close split decision. Prior to their meeting, Schmill had already seen herself in a title fight, but the Ostrava warrior gave her a very rude awakening.

However, the 32-year old Schmill simply wouldn’t go on to accept this defeat. She promptly criticized the verdict on social media, and her promoter PSB Box Team eventually filled an official protest. In boxing, it’s not uncommon to see these actions following a close match, but they only rarely result in the fight’s official result being changed. In fact, the result almost invariably stays the same, and if it is indeed changed, it’s usually ruled as a no contest.

The BDB, however, has now appointed an additional trio of judges who eventually rescored the fight and awarded the win to Schmill via unanimous decision! “I still don’t get it, and I’m really furious! This is a very unusual and incorrect approach. I’m trying to fix the issue with the German federation and through my friends who work there. So far, there hasn’t been any response from them. I’ve already contacted the federation by phone, but they didn’t bother to answer my call,” said a visibly enraged Lukas Konecny, the current president of Czech Union of Boxing Professionals (CUBP).

“They should at least made me know about their actions, but they didn’t send me any official statement. From what I know, they claim they had sent me an email, but I haven’t gotten any. I don’t know why they’re refusing to communicate with me. I’m definitely not going to leave it at that!” added Konecny.

The 28-year old Konecna shares the same disappointment. “I’m really disgusted. I’m sorry, but I’m not going to offer you any more comments until the entire thing is closed,” said the Ostrava fighter and quadruple Czech amateur champion to Profiboxing.cz.

Needless to say that this is a very uncommon way of dealing with the situation – even in professional boxing. Even the most controversial decisions from the past have still remained in effect, and we don’t need to go that far in the sport’s history to find one such fight. Case in point: the first meeting between Manny Pacquiao and Timothy Bradley in 2012.

Back then, most experts and fans saw the Philippino boxer as the winner, but the judges ruled the fight in favor of his then undefeated American opponent. The WBO, whose welterweight title was at stake in that fight, then chose ten judges to review it, and they all saw Pacquiao as the clear victor.

The official result, however, remained in effect – last but not least because scoring the fight live, at ringside, can often be different from judging it later and in front of the TV.

So let’s just hope Konecny – maybe with some help from his former promoter SES Boxing – manages to overturn this crazy and scandalous decision of BDB and Schmill won’t be allowed to earn this (according to her deserved) victory in this particular way. Just like Paul Smith, who between 2014 and 2015 literally quareled his way to his rematch with Arthur Abraham – even though in reality, it was actually one of those rare fights in recent years where “King Arthur” indeed looked like the clear victor.