Hughie Fury withdraws from Dillian Whyte British title talks

Lawrence Lustig

As promised, Hughie Fury will not be facing friend and sporadic training partner Dillian Whyte for the British heavyweight crown and has formally withdrawn from the process.

Previously, father and trainer Peter Fury told WBN that Hughie facing Whyte was not an option due to their close ties and Team Fury are now looking in a new direction for their next opponent.

According to the British Boxing Board of Control, Whyte will contest the Lonsdale Belt with Sam Sexton after Dave Allen was denied a shot at Whyte. The BBBofC did put both contenders forward for an final eliminator though and a crack at the English version in the interim.

Whyte told World Boxing News: “From my understanding, Whyte v Sexton will happen if anyone wants to bid for it so I doubt I’ll get the chance.”

Sexton is in line to meet Whyte later in the year, but whether promoter Eddie Hearn, who now looks after Whyte’s affairs, will try to persuade the Board to allow the belt to be on the line come June 25 is another story.

Whyte makes his return from defeat against Anthony Joshua in December on the current IBF champion’s undercard later this month and could possibly get his shot against another fighter should the request be made,

The winner would then battle Sexton.

More is set to come to light in the next few days on whom exactly Whyte will oppose at the O2 Arena on June 25.