21
Sep
2020

Exclusive: Loeffler confirms no further contact over GGG v Canelo

Phil Jay 24/05/2016

Naoki Fukuda

K2 Promotions head Tom Loeffler has informed WBN that talks regarding a fight between WBC middleweight champion Gennady Golovkin and former belt holder Canelo Alvarez have stalled.

The pair had been given a deadline of May 24 to reach an agreement over a mandatory fight until Canelo decided to relinquish the green belt in a bid to allow more time for negotiations to continue.

Despite this intention stated by Canelo and his team in an official statement over the weekend, Loeffler says this has not been the case thus far.

“I can confirm that nothing has been forthcoming from Golden Boy since they informed the WBC of their decision,” Loeffler exclusively told World Boxing News.

“We are still hopeful that the fight with Canelo can be made and are open to continuing the discussions as soon as Golden Boy are ready and willing to do so.”

Golovkin, 34, now holds the IBF, WBC, WBC ‘Super’ and IBO championships in his possession and just needs one more in order to fulfil his desire to hold all five titles at once. Billy Joe Saunders in the man who has the final strap in his grasp as the WBO ruler and has previously turned down one offer from K2 to step up and unify with GGG.

Should Canelo and his team fail to make their intentions clear in the near future, Golovkin may have no option but to switch his focus to Saunders, which is a fight that can be made despite the WBA’s recent stipulation of a fight with ‘regular’ champion Danny Jacobs.

A unification by two title holders always comes above a mandatory offering, meaning Saunders currently holds all the aces and may be in line for a mammoth pay-per-view payday should Canelo finally decide to look elsewhere.