Hearn weary of Parker/Takam threat ahead of Joshua eliminator
Matchroom boss Eddie Hearn says either of the fighters participating in the final eliminator to face Anthony Joshua on May 21 could be a danger to the Briton’s IBF heavyweight title.
New Zealand’s Joseph Parker and Cameroonian Carlos Takam battle it out at the Vodafone Events Centre in Manukau City next week for the opportunity to challenge Joshua and Hearn sees a competitive contest unfolding for the mandatory position.
“It’s a great fight and Parker is a real threat. Takam is a dangerous fighter as well, so we are going to see what Parker is made of for this fight,” Hearn told Sky Sports.
“If he wins, on November the 19th I believe, the IBF will send letters out to say ‘Anthony Joshua must fight the winner of that fight’.
“We’ve got definitely, not one eye, but every eye on that fight and Joshua/Parker in time could be a big fight – but don’t rule out Carlos Takam,” he added.
Parker, 24, has won all 18 of his bouts so far, knocking out 90% of his opponents, whilst 35 year-old veteran Takam has been around the block and shared the ring with the likes of Alexander Povetkin, Tony Thompson and Mike Perez with varied success.
The winner of Parker v Takam will be in line to face undefeated world champion Joshua, more than likely on UK soil at the O2 Arena, by the spring of 2017 at the earliest.