19
Sep
2020

Victor Ortiz: No other welterweights are on my level!

WBN 27/04/2016
Victor Ortiz

Idris Erba

Former WBC welterweight champion Victor Ortiz believes he is the world’s best 147 pounder and aims to prove it against Andre Berto this weekend.

The 29 year-old battles Berto at the StubHub Center five years on from their first Fight of the Year meeting and says he will repeat his victory when the pair trade blows for a second time on Saturday night.

“Everyone said I was a ‘tomato can’ who had no business being in the ring with Berto the first time. I had to go to Connecticut to get my belt and my respect,” said Ortiz.

“I’ve fought a lot of wars. I’ve been in battles. I broke my jaw and my wrist, that’s three years right there. But my will to fight led me back. The more boxing I watched, the more upset it made me. I don’t think the other welterweights are on my level.”

On his win being the catalyst for Berto’s career to dip until a surprise clash with Floyd Mayweather last year, Ortiz added: “Berto blames me for his downward spiral. He thinks he has a chance this time. Always a good dream to have.

“I’m not going the distance this time. I’m going in 100 miles per hour, full throttle,” he promised.

The winner of the rematch will be in prime position to challenge one of the current welterweight champions in the summer, with Kell Brook, Jessie Vargas and Danny Garcia all on the lookout for opponents in the coming months.