‘GGG’ is pencilled in to fight Dominic Wade on April 23 before a potential clash with the winner of Canelo Alvarez v Amir Khan after efforts to nail down a unification with Saunders failed earlier this year.
Saunders has since named Golovkin on more than one occasion for a summer blockbuster at England’s Wembley Stadium, whilst the Kazakh puncher is sceptical that the Londoner even believes his own words.
“It’s a joke for Billy Jo Saunders to want to face me right after we announced this fight, he’s not serious,” said Golovkin.
“I want to fight Canelo and many big fights, big shows, but it’s not frustrating for me to face other fighters.”
On upcoming opponent Wade, Golovkin said: “This is a big opportunity for Dominic Wade, I remember what it was like before I became a champion, I’m sure he’s very hungry for this opportunity and will train hard.
“This is my next step and I’m very excited to continue building my story. I have a great deal of respect for Dominic. I look forward to fighting at my second home, the Forum on April 23.”
Golovkin is currently four title defences behind Bernard Hopkins’ record of 19 (20, but one NC) consecutive championship wins at 160 pounds, although the 33 year-old is keeping the possibility of bettering that mammoth feat at the back of his mind.
“Bernard Hopkins has a great record of title defenses, but my focus is not on his record but on my story,” he stated.