On the back of manager Matt Clark confirming that a mandatory against Fres Oquendo will be followed through in the summer, WBA heavyweight champion Lucas Browne has confirmed to WBN that no talks with David Haye are being held.
Haye had stated that negotiations between both sides were underway regarding a possible May 21 clash at the O2 Arena, although any contact seems to be one-sided, according to the Australian puncher.
“All I can say is that David Haye, along with Shannon Briggs and Sol Haumono closer to home are wanting a shot at my new title,” Browne exclusively told World Boxing News.
“Things like this are bound to happen following my win over Ruslan Chagaev and I’m sure it happens to fellow-champions Charles Martin and Deontay Wilder. It is what it is but there is nothing in it but speculation.”
Specifically regarding Haye’s announcement, Browne added: “As far as I’m aware we are focusing on the WBA tournament and Fres Oquendo. My team have told me that there are no talks with David Haye regarding any fight on May 21.”
Browne, 36, pulled off a statement victory earlier this month by following Wladimir Klitschko as the only other man stop rugged Uzbek Chagaev, which has brought ‘Big Daddy’ instantly unwanted attention.
The WBA have already laid out Browne’s next two bouts via their efforts to crown one sole top division champion, and if all goes to plan, a triumph over Oquendo would then lead to a shot at the winner of the Tyson Fury v Klitschko rematch.
Any detour to face the rejuvenated Haye in two months’ time would certainly result in Browne losing the belt he fought so hard to gain and has only a financial incentive for the newly-crowned ‘regular’ title holder.