Margarito sure he can still compete at the top ahead of comeback
Mexican Antonio Margarito and Jorge Paez Jr. are heading for their fight that will be held on Saturday, March 5 at the Arena Mexico City. The event will be presented by Zanfer Promotions and will be broadcast on Azteca 7, La Casa del Boxing.
“The Tijuana Tornado” trained in San Diego, California, which he chose as his headquarters, whilst the “Maromerito” Paez preferred the Jiquipilco mountains in the State of Mexico.
After a four-year retirement, Margarito returns in a stellar fight against one of the best exponents of the welterweight division in Mexico and the son of legendary fighter Jorge Paez.
Margarito underwent medical tests in the United States to rule out any risk to his right eye, injured in 2010 when he fought Manny Pacquiao, and the Commission’s Box of Mexico City also demanded other tests which went smoothly.
The former world champion, who starred in memorable bouts against fighters from the likes of Manny Pacquiao, Miguel Cotto, Shane Mosley, Roberto Garcia, Kermit Cintron and Joshua Klotey, among others, returns because he says he feels able to fight again at the highest level what, he said, will demonstrate on March 5.
“I have prepared very well, I am very motivated and return to boxing because I know that I can still compete at the highest level. I’m not coming back to lose,” said Margarito.
“It was heavy after four years to start boxing again, but I’m fine and quiet happy. Things have gone well with new coach (John Estrada). We have done well and we will go out with our hand raised,” he added.
After losing to Miguel Cotto over nine rounds in December 2011 in a sellout of 17,943 fans at Madison Square Garden in what was a rematch of a sustained bout three years ago, Margarito decided to retire from boxing.
In that fight, Margarito suffered a serious injury to his right eye, which had been operated on after the fight with Manny Pacquiao held in November 2010 at Cowboys Stadium in Arlington, Texas.