18
Jul
2019

Margarito seeks Cotto or Canelo clash ahead of March 5 comeback

Zanfer 19/02/2016

Antonio Margarito of Tijuana and Mexicali Jorge Paez Jr. announced on Thursday their fight scheduled for March 5 oves 10 rounds in the junior middleweight division.

The fight takes place in Mexico City Arena, promoted by Zanfer and to be broadcast Azteca 7, the House of Boxing.

“The Tornado” Margarito and “Maromerito” Paez discussed the fight with in the presence of promoter Fernando Beltran, president of Zanfer.

margarito paez zanfer1

“I am ready to return after four years. I have no financial problems, I want my kids to see me fight, they know who their father is,” said the fighter, who also said his right eye is healthy after a serious injury in 2011 in the fight against Miguel Cotto.

Margarito (38-8, 27 KO) is now 37 years old, but will exchange blows with Paez Jr., the son of former world champion Jorge Paez.

Paez said: “I have learned from my mistakes and now I want big fights. If I beat Margarito, a great champion and a strong puncher, I can be in more big fights.”

Promoter Beltran predicted a great fight: “There is great rivalry between Tijuana and Mexicali. Margarito wants a big return and to be in big fights in America and Jorge Paez is try to brighten his career to seek a new title shot after his loss to Jesse Benavidez.

“With Margarito, we are with him since he started his career and so far, all we are doing all we can to provide the biggest platform. Hopefully, they will give a great fight.

“Margarito wants to return to the United States to seek another rematch with Miguel Cotto or a fight with Saul Canelo Alvarez, but it all depends on how he looks in Mexico,” added Beltran.

Your SEO optimized title