22
Jul
2019

Exclusive: Peter Fury confirms Tyson v Klitschko II close for UK, updates on Hughie / AJ talks

Matt Horan 17/02/2016

Peter Fury has informed WBN that the scheduled rematch between unified heavyweight champ Tyson Fury and Wladimir Klitschko will definitely go ahead next, with the fight very likely to take place in the UK.

Fury (25-0, 18KO) shocked the world in November when he went over to Germany and outpointed the long-standing Ukrainian kingpin – winning three versions of the world title (Although he had to vacate the IBF belt soon after).

A clause in the contract meant that should Fury succeed, a rematch would happen immediately and Peter Fury – uncle of the champion – explains that plans for rematch are almost completed.

“It’s very close to being finalised now, just sorting out the finishing touches. Klitschko certainly isn’t retiring and he is on the phone daily with his team and wants to get it on as soon as possible,” Fury exclusively told World Boxing News.

“The date and venue will be announced soon, but I can say that the UK is very likely. It would be a nice change to have it here and that seems the most probable option.”

Fury also trains his son and unbeaten heavyweight contender Hughie Fury (18-0, 10 KO), who was recently touted as a potential opponent for Olympic champion Anthony Joshua, who now faces Charles Martin for the IBF world title on April 9.

“Hughie versus Joshua probably would have happened had negotiations started sooner, but me and Eddie still had a positive chat. The problem was that we had already given someone else our word and we like to honour that agreement – even thought that person let us down in the end,” Peter Fury continued.

“We had the discussion and I said to Eddie Hearn (Joshua’s promoter) that I will do the deal now if you give me your word that after Hughie’s next fight we get it on. Eddie said he need to think about it and would get back to me, which is fair enough.

“He’s got Joshua the world title fight now anyway and I give full credit to Joshua and all his team for taking it. It’s a good fight and is a risk-reward situation. In boxing, you have to take these opportunities.”

Hughie Fury is still scheduled to fight on March 26 at London’s Wembley Arena and news of the fight details is imminent, with tickets set to go on sale this Thursday. Peter admits that it remains difficult to get opponents for his son.

“We had a deal in place with Andrey Fedosov and that fell through and that is old news now – so we move on,” Fury said. “We are close to doing a deal with another opponent who is highly world ranked and are hoping to finalise that within the next 24-48 hours.

“Fans should know the opponent before tickets go on sale and they wont be disappointed. This is Hughie’s first big test and the best opponent he will have faced by far. This will ultimately show us what he’s made of and give him the chance he wants to prove himself.”

Matt Horan is a lead writer for WBN. Follow on Twitter @mhoran123

Your SEO optimized title