MGM Scotland: Results from Glasgow Boxing Dinner Club

MGM Scotland 03/02/2016

MGM Scotland returned to the Crowne Plaza in Glasgow for the second instalment of their Boxing Dinner Club.

The event coincided with the celebration of Scotland’s most popular bard Rabbie Burns, and to mark this special occasion Scottish hero Ken Buchanan was invited to the evening as guest of honour. With the haggis addressed, poems recited, boxing legend toasted, the scene was set for the evening’s action to begin.

First up was Super Welterweight ‘Magic’ Marc Kerr in a four round contest against Lithuanian Andrej Cepur. From the opening bell Kerr took control of the contest. Finding the target with combinations to the head and ending with a sickening left hook to the body. By the end of the second round any ambition the Lithuanian had was gone due to the relentless pressure Kerr had been applying. Mixing things up in the third and fourth, Kerr introduced uppercuts and maintained the pressure to take a comfortable 40-36 decision and move to 4-0.

Livingston based Lightweight Tommy Dickson was next up, hoping to build upon his promising debut performance. In the opposite corner was Michael Stupart from Dunfermline. In a frenzied opening Stupart attempted to take the fight to the Livingston lightweight with wild attacks. Dickson showed a level of maturity to keep a tight guard and weather the early storm, picking his opponent off with clean combinations. Midway through the first round and Dickson started to time Stupart, taking a step back from his opponent’s lunges and catching him with accurate counters. Hurting and dropping Stupart with a combination, and then dropping him again with a sharp right hand just before the bell. A flush right hook rocked Stupart’s head back early into the second round and the referee had seen enough, waving the contest off. Tommy Dickson moves to 2(1)-0.

Up next was Edinburgh Featherweight Stephen Tiffney. The exciting Lochend prospect has built a vocal fan base in the pro ranks, and they yet again produced tremendous support. Stockport’s Jamie Quinn was in the opposite corner. Tiffney produced the fluid performance that spectators are beginning to expect, switching between stances to create openings. In a competitive four rounds, Tiffney comfortably won each and every round. Mixing up attacks to the head and body, Quinn produced sporadic attempts at offense but yielded little result. A tough, durable opponent who has not been stopped in his career to date seemed happy to survive the four rounds with the energetic and skilful Tiffney. The judge’s scorecard reading 40-36 in favour of Stephen Tiffney who now moves to 3(1)-0.

Main event for the evening was Cruiserweight Stephen ‘monster’ Simmons in six round action against the experienced Remigijus Ziausys from Lithuania. A recent switch in trainer to Gary Jacobs has helped create a renewed enthusiasm for Stephen Simmons. As the fight got underway it was Simmons who took the initiative by controlling centre of the ring and establishing the jab. Constant head movement seemed to keep his opponent guessing and Simmons was working the head and the body. Ziausys was finding it tough to land anything significant, and for a fighter who has shared the ring with Dillian Whyte and Dereck Chisora, Ziausys, seemed increasingly uncomfortable. As the jab and combinations continued to find the target, Ziausys face began to mark up, and by the fourth round he was cut above the eye and nose. A scorecard of 60-54 reflected the home fighter’s dominance and ensures the momentum created at the end of 2015, continues into 2016.

On an evening celebrating Scottish heroes, four Scottish fighters produced performances worthy of the occasion. A busy 2016 schedule in place, MGM Scotland moves onto Bellahouston in February.