Having announced plans to return to action following a twenty-year retirement, former world heavyweight champion Frank Bruno has been told any request for a license would be denied.
Bruno’s agent put the feelers out with the British Boxing Board of Control to see if there was any chance of approving the 54 year-old for a future bout, although the enquiry was quickly shot down by the UK’s ruling organisation.
“My agent has received notification from the British Boxing board of Control that should I apply for a license this would not be granted,” confirmed Bruno.
My agent has received notification from the British Boxing board of Control that should I apply for a License this would not be granted
— Frank Bruno MBE (@frankbrunoboxer) February 1, 2016
The veteran had previously told ITV’s This Morning programme ‘he had to get back into boxing or he’ll end up in Broadmoor Hospital’ following years of mental problems since retirement.
Even British great Ricky Hatton had been snapped putting Bruno through his paces in the gym, although there was no indication from the ‘Hitman’ that it was anything more than a routine training session.
Despite his advancing years, Bruno does look in tremendous shape and ripped to shreds, but the question marks seem to be surrounding his state of mind – rather than any issues over his physical condition.
Mike Tyson was the last opponent to share the ring with Bruno way back in 1996 and hopefully, the one-time ‘Baddest Man on the Plant’ will remain so indefinitely.