06
Jul
2020

Pacquiao to undergo shoulder evaluation during US press tour

Nick Giongco 17/01/2016

Manny Pacquiao is going to be re-examined by the renowned doctor who performed the operation on his right shoulder last year as a part of the requirement for him to return to the ring against Tim Bradley on April 9 in Las Vegas.

The check-up will be done in Los Angeles, during a break when Pacquiao goes on a two-city promotional tour of LA and New York City next week.

Aside from Dr. Neal Elattrache, another doctor will examine the 37-year-old Pacquiao as a prerequisite for all boxers seeing action in the US.

Pacquiao sustained a right rotator cuff injury during his megabucks matchup with Floyd Mayweather in May last year and he underwent an operation to repair it four days after losing a 12-round decision.

An MRI was done on the right shoulder months later and the results showed that it had fully healed, making the examination next week as a mere formality to fulfill the mandate of the Nevada Athletic Commission.

Mike Koncz, the Canadian adviser of Pacquiao, arrived in Manila last week from Los Angeles to set the stage for Pacquiao’s whirlwind stay in the US next week.

To drum up interest for his rubber match with Bradley that will be held at the MGM Grand, Pacquiao, Bradley and Hall of Fame promoter Bob Arum are hosting a press conference at the Beverly Hills Hotel on Jan. 19.

The medical checkups will then follow before Pacquiao and Bradley and the traveling circus proceed to New York City for another presser at Madison Square Garden on Jan. 21.

From the Big Apple, Arum said Bradley will head back to his native Palm Springs in Southern California, while Pacquiao will take a flight straight to Manila.

Koncz said: “It will be up to Manny to decide where he will spend the early part of his training camp.”

But Koncz believes General Santos City will be the ideal place after thumbing down suggestions that Pacquiao could return to Baguio City or set up camp in Manila instead.

“Regardless of where we are going, there’d be people coming to visit but in General Santos City, we will have control,” said Koncz.

Courtesy of Nick Giongco of the Manila Bulletin. Follow Nick on Twitter @NickSpeaks