03
Apr
2020

Billy Wright, 50, says he deserves Deontay Wilder shot

Mario Serrano 08/12/2015

WBC Latino and FECARBOX heavyweight champion, Bronco Billy Wright (49-4, 38 KOs), is willing and able to step up and challenge Deontay Wilder (35-0, 34 KOs) for his world title. Currently rated #20 by the WBC, Bronco Billy Wright is currently riding a 20-fight winning streak with 17 of those victories coming by way of knockout.

If Wilder, who is currently looking for an opponent for his scheduled January 16, 2016 date, were to take this fight, he would be facing a game opponent in Wright, who hasn’t lost a fight since 1998. With 31 first round knockouts to his credit, Billy feels he has what it takes to dethrone Wilder.

“No one can deny that I’ve earned the right to fight Deontay Wilder for his WBC title,” said Bronco Billy Wright. “I’ve been ranked in the top 20 with the WBC for the last three years. This is the American Dream for a fighter like myself who’s been waiting patiently to get an opportunity to fight for a world championship. I’ve paid my dues and I’m ready to take on this challenge.”

“There is no reason why this fight shouldn’t happen,” said Wright’s agent Ivaylo Gotzev. “From the day that Billy made his comeback till now, he’s made a believer out of me with everything that he’s accomplished. This is America where everyone should have an opportunity to fulfill their dreams, that’s what makes this country great. The man is active having just fought last month. Age should not be a factor. If George Foreman and Bernard Hopkins can fight at the championship level in their latter years, then the networks should not have a double standard when it comes to Bronco Billy. He wants to raise the bar and become the oldest heavyweight champ in boxing history. He currently holds two WBC belts which makes him more than qualified. There should be no discrimination in this matter. Billy is ready to fight Wilder now!”