Brophy overcomes Webb challenge, stoppage win for Simmons

Chris Glover 07/12/2015

MGM Promotions returned to Edinburgh for its final show of the year. Topping the bill was Caldercruix Super Middleweight David Brophy who faced a step up in class in the Welsh area Super Middleweight Champion Tobias Webb.

Webb had mixed it with the likes of Callum Smith and Rocky Fielding and came to Edinburgh with the intention of being the first man to give Brophy a loss.

The show got underway with Light Heavyweight Gordon Brennan making his return to the ring after a 6-year hiatus. He took on Andy Neylon over 4 rounds. The fight itself was cagey as Neylon was slippery, not allowing Brennan to let his right hand go throughout. Brennan didn’t take many punches and landed the cleaner work throughout. The referee scored the contest 40-36 in favour of Brennan as he moved to 4-3-1.

Scottish Heavyweight hope Ross Henderson made his second appearance as a pro, taking on Jakub Wojcik of Poland. Wojcik was another tricky customer for an MGM fighter to deal with. Despite this Ross controlled the fight with his jab throughout and looked good when he got to work on the inside, hurting the tough and durable Wojcik with attacks to the body. The referee in charge awarded Henderson the victory 40-36, who was comfortable throughout and aims to kick on in pro the pro ranks in 2016. Henderson now moves to 2-0.

Up next was Super Middleweight and 4 time Scottish Amateur Champion Brian Forsyth taking on Louis Rutherford. Forsyth aimed to make a statement after a controversial draw last time out. He did just that, finding a weakness in Rutherford’s body from the offset. Forsyth put Rutherford down 3 times in the opening round with Rutherford struggling to the end of round one. Round 2 was more of the same as Forsyth put Rutherford down again with a body shot. The towel came in from Rutherford’s corner after the fourth knockdown as Brian Forsyth moves on to 2-0-1 1KO.

Edinburgh’s own Lewis Paulin made his first appearance on an MGM show in what turned out to be a great little scrap with Dean Evans over 4 rounds at Super Featherweight. Evans really came with intentions of causing the upset to Paulin, who had to dig deep on several occasions during the contest. The former Scottish Amateur International settled eventually after rounds 1 and 2 and outboxed his tough opponent throughout rounds 3 and 4. The referee in charge scored the contest 40-37 in favour of Paulin who moves to 3-0.

Super Middleweight Tommy Philbin looked to avenge the draw inflicted on gym mate Brian Forsyth by Luke Allon in the evenings next contest. Allon had previously caused upset in Edinburgh by salvaging a draw against Forysth in his previous visit. Philbin set out to make sure there was no repeat in fortunes for Allon. Philbin looked strong throughout, pushing his opponent on to the back foot and causing Allon to go into survival mode throughout. Philbin looked classy, fighting when he needed to fight but boxing when he needed to box. The Edinburgh man dominated throughout and was maybe unlucky to not get Allon out of there. Despite not getting the knockout, the referee in charge awarded Philbin a 40-36 victory as he moves to 2-0.

Livingston Lightweight prospect Thomas Dickson made his pro debut against Mr Reliable Kris Laight. Laight who is always hard to pin down made it tricky for Dickson throughout. Despite this Dickson showed a variety of punches, impressing the crowd and controlled the contest throughout in what was a solid display for his first professional contest. The popular and likeable Dickson was awarded the contest 40-36 as his pro career gets underway.

‘Kid Caramel’ Lewis Benson, was up next as he looked to make an impression in his third professional outing against the tough Matt Seawright. Benson had spoken in the lead up that he wanted to show his power off, and that’s what he did. ‘Bad Boy’ Benson put Seawright down with a heavy right hand in round one after what appeared to be knockdown before that from a right hand. Seawright was unable to make the count as Benson recorded a sensational first round TKO victory. The brash Light Welterweight Benson now moves to 3-0 1KO and has big plans for 2016.

Stephen Simmons continued on his path back to titles against tough Lithuanian Imantas Davidatis over 6 rounds. Davidatis had been in previously with Ross Henderson so was not a stranger to some of the spectators ringside. Simmons who is now working with Gary Jacobs at MGM Scotland started strong, using good movement, pressuring the tall and awkward Davidatis on to the back foot. Simmons used his movement more so than he had in the past and didn’t take many punches throughout. He got the breakthrough in the fifth as Davidatis could not take anymore from Simmons’ sustained pressure. ‘Simmo’ who switched his attack from body to head effectively throughout and looked really classy and refined as he forced the stoppage without seemingly going into top gear. The referee waved the contest off in the fifth, deeming Davidatis in no position to continue. ‘Simbo’ now moves to 13-1 6KO as he aims for a big title showdown in Edinburgh in March.

Featherweight prospect Steven Tiffney took on Qasim Hussain over 4 rounds. Tiffney who is highly rated in Scottish boxing circles aimed to notch up another win in front of his very vocal support! Tiffney did just that, switching stances and effectively letting his hands go out of both Orthodox and Southpaw stances. Tiffney didn’t waste many punches and was accurate throughout against a very tough man in Hussain. ‘Tiff’ switched his attacks from head to body with fluent precision and worked well when on the inside. The referee awarded Tiffney the victory 40-36 as he moves to 2-0 1KO.

The main event between David Brophy and Tobias Webb was a fight of the year contender. Brophy burst out of the blocks and had Webb rocked early in the first as he looked to walk his opponent down. Webb survived and came back into the action with both fighters not showing any signs of quit in what was a brilliant scrap throughout. Trouble loomed for Brophy in the seventh as an onslaught from Webb, which included a cracking body shot that hurt Brophy, who was put into survival mode. The survival instincts kicked in as he made it to the end of the round. From then on in it became a war as both fighters went in search of a knockout victory, both loading up with heavy shots. Webb who had worked effectively off the jab all night was starting to feel the high pace Brophy set towards the end of the contest. Both men showed incredible respect at the start of the tenth round as they had both given it their absolute all throughout. The referee scored the contest 97-93 in favour of Brophy who showed heart and character throughout against a good fighter in Webb. Both men agreed afterwards that Brophy, now 15-0-1 1KO, had edged the contest and he will look to kick on for domestic and international title fights in 2016.

Post fight reaction from all the fighters can be found on MGM Scotland TV’s YouTube channel by clicking here