Powell has received a backlash since his post went viral on Tuesday night, stating Khan had agreed his side of a deal to fight Pacquiao, having beaten off competition from current world champions Terence Crawford and Timothy Bradley.
The piece sent the boxing world into a frenzy and had hundreds of media contacting Arum for his confirmation on Powell’s story. The Top Rank boss subsequently denied any knowledge of any paperwork and accused the experienced writer of ‘not having a story, so making one up’ when speaking directly to WBN on Wednesday.
Arum also revealed that Khan’s uncle had reached out to him with an apology, but did state that ‘nice conversation’s with the British former world champion’s lawyers had taken place and that he ‘knows roughly how much’ the fight would cost.
Since then, Powell has accepted an offer from WBN to clarify the full extent of his article and is adamant that his story of Khan’s acceptance, which carries quotes from his father Shah, is fully accurate and valid.
“I simply suggest Santa Bob and his porky elves improve their reading skills and read my piece properly,” Powell exclusively told World Boxing News.
“The Information in the article is from Shah Khan and I did not say Amir Khan had signed a contract to face Manny Pacquiao on April 9.
“Correctly, I said he had sent his agreement of terms and was awaiting a contract from Bob Arum,” he added.
An official confirmation of Pacquiao’s opponent could be made as early as the end of next week, according to Arum, as the eight-weight world title holder prepares to bow out of the sport ahead of a run for Senator in his native Philippines.